Vickie Wonders Foltz (1953-2008)
A talented performer as well as a gifted coach and teacher, Vickie Wonders Foltz was a member of the Sweet Adeline International Faculty and the Artistic Director for Metro Nashville Chorus. The impact of her approach to barbershop showmanship can be seen and heard in choruses across the United States and as far away as Sweden and New Zealand. A teacher by profession and avocation, Vickie loved to work with young voices and help them bring their talents to new audiences.
After her unexpected passing in 2008, friends and family from around the world who had been touched by Vickie, donated in her memory. Metro Nashville Chorus created the Vickie Wonders Foltz Memorial Fund, in her honor, to support young people who pursue music education and performance.
To apply for the Vickie Wonders Foltz Memorial Scholarship, you cannot have previously received a Vickie Wonders Foltz Memorial Scholarship and must meet the following criteria:
- A resident of Tennessee (or a full-time student at a Tennessee college/university)
- Beginning your senior year in a Tennessee high school or entering your freshman year as a full-time student in an accredited four-year college or university
- A minimum high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (B average)
- Plan to major in voice or music education
Application and Award Process
- Application and 3 letters of recommendation must be received electronically by midnight October 1st (click here for on-line application; click here for on-line recommendation)
- Scholarship winner will be notified by October 20th.
- Scholarship check will be presented at Metro Nashville Chorus’s YWISH Festival (Youth Working in Song & Harmony) on October 28th.
- One $500 award given annually; not based on need
Our selection committee considers:
- Applicant’s responses to application essays
- Commitment to personal improvement/learning
- Performance experience and career aspirations
- Letters of recommendation